The Downtown Leo Blitz out of the 3-5-3 Stack Defense is very easy to install but very difficult for the offense to pick up. The linebackers are stacked behind the 3 defensive linemen. It’s important that the linebackers always maintain the stacked look so they can keep the offensive line guessing. The Leo linebacker (L) will almost always come free on this blitz. Keep in mind that when you call a blitz the blitzing defenders need to bring it! Half-hearted blitz will get your defense beat for big plays.
Downtown Leo Blitz out of the 3-5-3 Stack Defense
N: Slant left A-gap.
DT: Slant B-gap.
DT: Slant B-gap.
FD (field Dog): Blitz off edge, maintain contain.
BD (boundary Dog): Short side contain.
M: Read step A-gap, scrap over the top.
L: Creep up and stack behind the (DT) when the QB begins his cadence. Once the ball is snapped the (L) blitzes C-gap.
R: Read Step C gap, then pursuit backside, cutback defender.
FCB (field CB): Deep 3rd, key TE for run/pass read.
BCB (boundary CB): Deep 3rd coverage.
FS: Deep middle 3rd coverage.
- Blitzing linebackers have to blitz, attack on ball movement. No half-hearted blitzes.
- Defensive linemen need to slant to the correct gap, if they don’t you will have two defenders playing one gap and that will get your defense in big trouble.
- Dogs coming off of the edge need to dip and rip, while maintaining outside leverage. If the blitz side (Dog) doesn’t maintain outside leverage the ball carrier can bounce it outside.
- When your defensive tackles “dip and rip” it’s important that they do not take themselves out of the play. They need to anchor the B-gap and not allow the offensive linemen to wash them down.
- Blitz strategically! You can live by the blitz but you can also die by the blitz. Scout your opponents.
Get this 3-5-3 Stack Defense Playbook Now! Available for Immediate Download.
Use Coupon Code Stack at check out to receive 15% off of this playbook!
(Lear more/Download) 3-5-3 Stack Defense Playbook