The Strong Iso out of the Single Back Formation is a great play because it gives the defense a balanced pre-snap look. This will force the defense to stay in their base alignment. Once the QB begins his cadence, the fullback will then go in motion and lead block once the ball is snapped. The fullback is isolating the outside linebacker on this play (S). Most of the time the defense will not adjust to the motion, especially if you come out of the huddle quickly and run the play.
Strong Iso indicates that Iso is being executed to the tight-end side (Y). This play will allow you to outnumber the defense at the point of attack. There are also several counter and play-action passing plays off of this Iso play. This play is easy to install and it works very well on all levels of football. This is a downhill play that will allow you to utilize big and strong offensive line.
Strong Iso out of the Single Back Formation
(See Also) The QB ISO out of the Shotgun Formation
Right Tackle: Block head up defensive tackle (DT).
Right Guard: Work onto linebacker. If you are facing a tough nose guard you can have the guard & center double team him.
Left Tackle: Step play-side, base the defensive tackle.
Left Guard: Step play-side, look to cutoff the backside linebacker pursuing to the ball carrier.
Center: Block head up nose guard.
(X): Stalk block cornerback. If the cornerback is playing press man to man coverage have him outside release and just run off.
(Z): Stalk block cornerback. If the cornerback is playing press man to man coverage have him outside release and just run off.
(Y): Base block defensive end out.
(1): Look at the (FB) to initiate motion, take snap, hand to the (TB) out by the 6 hole.
(FB): Motion across, ISO block the outside linebacker. Attack the block, hit and drive the defender back. Your fullback needs to be a fullback on this play!
(TB): Lateral step towards the 6 hole, take handoff, get downhill. Look to cut off of the (FB) ISO block.
- Motion player cannot go or lean forward until the ball is snapped.
- Run this play quickly, don’t give the defense time to adjust to the motion.
- You can utilize double teams at the point of attack as well.
- Have a play-action passing play off this play.
- If you are facing double A-gap defenders, the center blocks backside A-gap defense and the right guard will block down on the play-side A-gap defender.
- It’s the QB’s job to get the football to the tailback (TB). The (TB) must never come to the QB for the handoff.