Hydration for Youth Athletes- How Much is Enough

Hydration for Youth Athletes

The recommendations of how much fluid a child (ages 9-13) should drink, set by the Institute of Medicine, is 10.5 cups a day for boys and 10 cups for girls. 80% of peoples total water intake comes from drinking water and other beverages including soda, coffee, and energy drinks. The remaining 20% of fluid intake comes from the food we eat.

Athletes require more fluids than the daily recommended level of fluids.  Unfortunately, there is no specific set number that a youth football athlete should take. This highly depends on the athlete and the type of activates the person engages in, their exposure to heat and their metabolism. In general, the more active the individual the more fluid that person should drink.

Athletes in general are using more fluids and burning off more fluids than the common individual. Healthy individuals can let their thirst drive them to replace fluids. We understand that football is a grueling sport- there is an obvious necessity to hydrate.

For adults- there are many medical conditions in which case, drinking the recommended fluid level changes. Some examples where the recommended amount changes includes: diabetes, heart disease, urinary tract infections, and kidney stones. This list is in no way comprehensive.

Kids need to hydrate.

A technique used to determine hydration is to look at the urine. The color of urine should be fairly clear. If the urine is a dark yellow, then that is an indication that the body may not be receiving enough water.

Disclaimer: The information presented in this article is purely opinionated. Please do not use this information as a means for medical management. Please consult your physician for further information.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Play Action Passing Off of Zone- Double Post Concept 

No Offensive system is complete without some type of Play Action Passing schemes. These play action shots are designed to not only keep the defensive players out of the box, but also take shots and make big plays when the Offense needs them.

5 Powerful Run Plays out of the Spread Formations

When you tell a youth football coach you run ‘spread’ they automatically think you’re all about throwing the football. Just because you spread the field doesn’t mean you can’t have a physical run game.

Scouting Opponent’s Defense-What to Look For

When you go to break down a future opponent there are a variety of different things that you can look at as you prepare your game plan. Regardless of your style of offense, there are a few basic things that stay consistent as you are evaluating future opponents.