The laser blitz with cover 3 out of the 3-4 defense is an excellent way to attack the edge of the defense. This blitz is very easy to install and works very well against spread offenses. In addition, this is a very good blitz to shut down the jet sweep. This blitz sends pressure off of the edge and off-tackle, while still giving you 7 in the box for run. This play is drawn up with cover 3 zone behind the blitz, but you can easily play man coverage instead.
The 3-4 defense is a very good defense. Having two safeties will give you flexibility. You can keep two safeties back to help prevent big plays. You can bring one up in the box to help defend against the run. You can use a safety to spy or double cover a receiver. You can also roll safeties to the motion side which will help defend against the jet and rocket sweep.
3-4 Defense: Laser Blitz with Cover 3
N: Slant A-gap.
LE: Slant B-gap, dip and rip through inside hip of the offensive tackle.
M: B-gap, on run, hook-curl on pass.
W: Blitz C-gap. Blitz tight off of the edge.
R: Back-side contain, curl-flat on pass.
L: Blitz off of the edge. Maintain outside leverage.
CB: Deep 3rd coverage.
CB: Deep 3rd Coverage.
SS: Roll down, support contain. If it is a pass, (SS) has flat.
FS: Deep middle 3rd.
- Blitzing players have to attack on ball movement. No half-hearted blitzes.
- Call this blitz from the wide side of the field.
- Blitz side DE must dip and rip through the inside hip of the offensive tackle.
- (W) blitzes tight off of the edge.
- Show a two deep safety look, then as the QB begins his cadence the (L) creeps in and the (SS) begins to roll down. (FS) rolls to deep middle coverage.
(See Also) Slant 3-4 Defense Playbook
(See Also) Cover 3 Zone Defense in Youth Football