Fire Man Blitz out of the 3-4 Defense | Man Free Cover 1
The Fire Man Blitz out of the 3-4 Defense is a great blitz that will generate pressure on the QB. This Blitz is most effective when ran from the wide side of the field (especially against mobile QBs). Presnap the defense shows a two deep safety shell. Once the QB begins his cadence the FS rolls into the middle 3rd and the SS rolls down to cover the (S). What we like to do defensively is to show the same presnap look every-time. Then once the QB begins the cadence that is when we adjust our defense to our call or blitz. This blitz is a great change up blitz. However, this isn’t a blitz that you should try to live on. You need defenders that can hold up in man coverage.
Fire man Blitz out of the 3-4 Defense | Man Free Cover 1
DT (backside): Slant backside A-gap.
DE (backside): Slant C-gap.
DE (blitz-side): Slant B-gap.
IB (backside): Run responsibility, B-gap. Pass Responsibility, man coverage (2).
IB (blitz side): Run responsibility, B-gap. Pass responsibility, spy QB ( for draw or scramble) or look to jump the hot throw, depends on opponent.
R: Creep in once the QB begins his cadence, then blitz off of the edge and maintain outside leverage.
L: Man coverage on (Z).
CB: Man coverage on (Y).
CB: Man coverage on (X).
FS: Deep middle coverage, roll to the middle once the QB begins the cadence.
SS: Man coverage on the (S), roll down once QB begins the cadence.
- Give the offense a presnap read of two high (two deep safeties). Once the QB begins the cadence that is when the safeties roll.
- It’s important that the safeties roll quickly. This is very important for that SS because he has to cover the (S) in the slot. This is a tough cover for the SS because the (S)’s alignment makes the SS have to defend against every route.
- It’s important that the blitzing (R) creeps inside closer to the to the (DE) so his path to the QB is shorter.
- The blitzing (R) needs to maintain outside leverage. He must understand that he is the contain player as well.
- This blitz is very effective from the boundary as well. Blitzing the boundary outside backer is great because the distance to the QB is much shorter.
- No half hearted blitzes. Half hearted blitzes will get your defense toasted. Blitzing defenders need to attack on ball movement and they must understand where their help is.
- Defenders must maintain their containment because if the QB breaks out of the pocket he will have a lot of space to run.
(See Also) Fire Zone Blitz out of the 3-4 Defense