Build Power With The 3 P’s
Football is a sport built on explosiveness and power, to build this youth athletes must develop a solid exercise routine. A youth football athlete’s body muscles and bones are still in growth phase, therefore weightlifting may pose an injury risk. Start with calisthenics! These are exercises that can be done using just your child’s body weight. No weights or equipment necessary.
In this post, we’ll focus on core and upper body exercises- the 3P, push-ups / pull-ups / planks, regiman for optimal play on the football field. Let’s GO!
- Head/body should be a straight line, no sagging
- Feet hip width apart
- Keep pressure on outside of hand as this is a more stable part of the hand
- When going down, touch the floor, explode back up
- Keep core tight
- Keep a rhythmic flow
- Palms facing away, palms facing towards face is chin-up
- Introduce first chin-ups (as these are easier)
- Get started at your local park, using monkey bars
- Slow rhythmic motion
- Beginners may start on knees
- Start off in push-up position (feet hip width apart)
- Elbows on floor, body in straight line
- Stomach tight, focus on core!
- Hold still for 10 seconds
- Don’t forget to breathe!