10 Reasons Why Offseason Fitness Matters For Kids
10 Reasons Why Off-season Fitness Matters
(New Brunswick, NJ): Let’s face it, training isn’t exactly on the top of the list of things for youth athletes to do in the offseason. But I’m here to tell you, your kid absolutely needs to keep physical fitness as a top priority year-round. Moderation and consistency is what’s important. Here are the top 10 reasons why physical fitness matters for kid athletes in the offseason:
1. Fitness training keeps kids in routine and assists in the development of discipline. In order to reach desired goals, one must keep a strict routine. Just because they are not in cleats doesn’t mean they can be out on the streets.
2. Physical training presents small challenges to overcome. If a child is presented with a task to perform pushups, 3 sets of 5 repetitions, each rep translates to a challenge to overcome. Each set performed equals a successful mission. Defeating obstacles will become second nature as long as your kid is consistent.
3. Kids have stressful lives with academic performance and other school commitments, after school activities including football and other sports – physical fitness is an ultimate stress reliever.
4. To be dominant in football requires consistent training. We learn from our talented group of YFO All-stars the importance of consistency. Our group dominates the headlines of their local (and in some instances national) media outlets because they work harder then everyone else year-round.
5. Sedentary offseason lifestyle begets laziness.
6. Obesity is a nationwide epidemic. With the constant pressure to be unhealthy from the media, flashing images of cheeseburgers and other unhealthy food choices, as a parent it is importance to counteract that message.
7. It’s not about working hard for part of the year and playing video games the rest. Video games are fun but in moderation. Don’t let your child be the kid that is up at 4 am playing ‘Call of Duty’.
8. A solid workout will help your kid sleep better. Sleep is important because it is the point where the body restores. Improved memory, learning and immune function are just a few benefits of proper sleep.
9. Fitness keeps kids away from their iPhones, iPads and other smart devices. Need I say more?
10. It’s a continuation of a structured environment. Football provides a controlled environment each day during the season. You’ll want to keep this into the offseason.